Sunday, September 2, 2012

What theology?

Theology is one of those words that I've heard a lot in school... 2 of my last 3 were private faith-based colleges so that would make sense. Yet theology is one of those words I think we take for granted and we pretend we really know what it means.  I decided to take 30 seconds to look up what "theology" actually means.

Theology: The systematic and rational study of religion and it's influences and of the nature of religious truths.

Alleli translation: The patterns and habits we form in our faith due to the influences surrounding us.

I know, it's a significantly less scientific translation.  My bad.

Some things I've noticed in myself as I develop my own theology on worship is there are a lot of changes going on in my heart.   I'm finding out very quickly a lot of what I thought was my theology was just my own selfish opinion.  Example: for a long time I thought it was stupid how many people would close their eyes for a whole worship set...and not just close their eyes- it looked like their eye lids were putting their eyeballs in a vice grip.  To me, everybody looked like they were trying to not poop their pants.  "Why are they getting so emotional?" I thought. "We're singing about God's love.  Be happy!" So my theology at that time was worship was more than just an emotion. 

It's true.  Worship really is more than just an emotion.  But I twisted it in my head to believe the lie of worship has no need for emotion.  After all, we choose to worship.  What a twisted, selfish opinion on worship theology!

So after all of those scattered thoughts and many paragraphs started, deleted, and rewritten...I guess the place that I am at in regards to my theology is:

I'm still learning. I'm still discovering the lies that I believe(d).  And I'm excited to see where this next season takes me.  

2 comments:

  1. And I'm excited to see where you are at the end of this year! You have a lot to say from the Lord :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man... that made me laugh!! I hope its not too weird that I am commenting on this while you are sitting right next to me but I love the way you write! I feel like my view has changed a lot recently too... I am noticing many times when I have been selfish :/ yikes! haha love you!

    ReplyDelete