Sunday, November 4, 2012

A joint venture...

So Laramie and I are tackling this one together this week.  Since there is no specific topic to blog about, we're just going to rant about super spiritual things we dislike:

Alleli:
I don't like it when somebody I just met jumps into the spiritual deep end within the first five minutes.

"Hey, my name is ______...so what is God doing in your life right now?"

No thank you.  I need a little segue. How old are you?  Do you have any brothers or sisters? Where did you grow up?  Those kinds of questions are necessary for creating a baseline for future conversations.  When there is no established relationship, I can't just swan dive into the clear pool of spirituality like they can. No, I don't want to tell you my thoughts on the second coming of Christ. No, I'm not going to start talking about what a Proverbs 31 woman looks like in today's society.  I just want to eat my half-priced appetizers in peace.

Laramie:
Okay, so, just in case anyone reading this doesn't know me...I'm pretty private. I like to keep most things to myself other than my love for Christ and my never-to-be-treated addiction to coffee. One of the things that ceases to catch me off guard is when someone I've just met genuinely asks me how I'm doing...

"How are you really doing?..." "..................................................."

It's like that jelly fish scene in Nemo... I just stare. Then they stare. Then I start to wish I was in the doctor's office counting the holes in the ceiling. But before I send out my SOS, I'm usually able to grab some sort of interesting piece of info to share...that isn't uncomfortably revealing and is hug-worthy.

Alleli:
One thing that absolutely drive me nuts is when somebody is trying to tell me their amazing spiritual revelations...but says nothing.

"God has just been showing me all of these things in my life that are getting in the way.  I have been arguing with Him for so long, but He finally showed me how prideful I've been and took away those parts of my heart.  It's been a painful process, but I'm finally getting to see His glory work in my life and amazing things are starting to happen."

Blech! That tells me nothing!  If you didn't want to say anything, then just don't say anything.  Spiritualizing a conversation for the sake of spiritualizing the conversation is not productive.  What do you want me to do, just nod my head in agreement like I know what you're saying?  Make those weird sounds people make when somebody goes off on a wild verbal tangent? "Mmm... mmhmm...yeah...no, I totally understand....mmmm..."

Laramie:
Alright. If I could summarize my childhood, these would be the three words that really pull it all together: Homeschooled, Pastor's kid. And really, this doesn't bite me in the butt as much as it did, but I always loved the looks I would get when these two things were revealed in conversation. People either think I was raised by wolves or I came out of the womb quoting scripture and I have a pet giraffe. No, I don't know how to crochet, I don't sew my own clothes, I do know who Obama is, and I happen to like Maroon 5. I secretly love it, but I publicly get offended just to normalize the situation. I loved my life growing up, but it's so hilarious when it's as if I grew up without civilization. Not true, I just read more books than the public school system :)




And as our closing statement: Predestination.

Chew on that.

1 comment:

  1. You girls are AWESOME!! I loved this post and found all of that soo true! What a fun way to blog, but still bring joy, fun, and creativity into it all!!

    ReplyDelete